Sign in to follow this  
Richard L

Question: Could I buy this and fit a small Mondeo engine?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1976-FORD-CORTINA-Mk3-1300-L-ORANGE-38-000-miles-new-2-owners-/290735374184?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D443614131953910894%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1017%26rk%3D1%26#ht_938wt_1185

I know that the 1300 powerplant was a piece of crap. Oddly though I was wondering if it might be a cheap drive if I fitted a five speed gearbox or a Mondeo powerplant. Another mad idea I had was perhaps to fit a Ford Fiesta Mk4 1.3 engine instead? Got to be better.

Ideally a Mondeo 1.6 engine from the Mk1 Mondey would be my ideal powerplant for decent speed and MPG but is this a pipedream?

There would be no point at all putting a 1600 in that.

Fit a 2.0l or 1800 as they have more power and are a damn site better on fuel than the 1600.

Its possible and reletively easy to convert but i'd have to put a 2.0l pinto engine in instead.

depends how deep ur pockets are richard and wot u want 1300 xflow is one of fords better engines u can do all sort to it and is almost unbrakeable but if u want all out power u cant beat cc,s 20ltr zetec, bike carbs, ecu and a few hundred quid

Well im not rich but if the 1300 could be given a bit more power i suspect a 5 speed gearbox and fuel injection might do a lot of good. But my mechanical skill is low. I dunno I hear the crossflow is hellish slow, not that I mind its the mpg that puts me off. Speed not an issue.

1300 is relativly chaep to run my 1.6 is cheaper than my modern motor....to put fuel injection onto a 1.3 you would have to make a tdc sensor fit ie different crank etc etc and run unleaded head also run high pressure fuel pump and replace/ add fuel lines.. not worth it imo.... as said before run a zetec on carbs fair few conversion kits available now days to

yeah i also agree, theres no point in fitting a 1600 zetec when you could just as easily fit a 1.8 or 2.0. the problem with the 1.6 is that it just feels strangled and you have to work it a lot more than the bigger engines to get the same performance resulting in worse fuel economy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.