Sign in to follow this  
xr3i man dan

mk4 fitting a trip computer

There may be a tread on this already... but was looking at the trip computers on ebay as was wandering where they actually fit in my dash and also if its easy to fit one.

Does my car have the wiring plug already there?

If not how easy is it to wire up?

Do they actually work?

Is your car EFI or MFI?

As far as I know that the fuel computers only work on the EFI models and there are very few that actually still work now.

The fuel/trip computer fits in the little cubby hole next to the drivers side dash/window vent and from what I've heard they are a pain to wire up too.

If it was my car and I found one for just a couple of quid then I'd probably fit it to the dash but unless I had loads of free time then I probably wouldn't bother trying to wire it up.

MFI cars had them, my RS turbo had it fitted.

Some cars have the loom already in so if your lucky yours might have to, can't remember what the plugs look like though, do remember that the speedo cable is in to parts and the speed sensor goes between the 2 parts.

The mk4 Haynes manual has a good diagram of the system layout, I think it also says where the plugs are.

If you do go ahead you need the computer for a xr3i or Orion Gaia i, as the RS turbo one is calibrated differently.

Guest Kevin potter   
Guest Kevin potter

Can you fit a trip computer to mfi xr3i 

if so can some one please tell me how to do it 

the two sockets under the back seat are they something to do with it 

Guest Rene   
Guest Rene
On 14-2-2013 at 4:05 PM, jamgti said:

MFI cars had them, my RS turbo had it fitted.

Some cars have the loom already in so if your lucky yours might have to, can't remember what the plugs look like though, do remember that the speedo cable is in to parts and the speed sensor goes between the 2 parts.

The mk4 Haynes manual has a good diagram of the system layout, I think it also says where the plugs are.

If you do go ahead you need the computer for a xr3i or Orion Gaia i, as the RS turbo one is calibrated differently.

How is the RS turbo one calibrated difrent?    

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.