• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:42 AM

Now, before you read on, let me first of all say that these tips are taken at the policyholder's discretion and you're a fool to take anything I type here as fact or legal advice.

That said I worked for a major insurance company for a little while and learnt a couple of little things to help reduce a premium.
  • Job title: Do you work in an office? You're an office worker. Don't bother with fancy shite like recruitment consultant, 'cause then  you get a premium slapped on you because some recruiter crashed their BMW last month.
  • Mileage: Now obviously this varies from person to person, but from all the quotes I did, I found that between 4k 1nd 7k to be the cheapest.
  • Declaring mods: Only thing I know on this is that remaps are (to mine and all of the people I worked with's knowledge) never checked.
  • Cover start date: This shaved £200 off my quote.. When do you want your insurance to start? Today? Impulse purchase = reckless driver..... Start in 2 weeks? Planning purchases = safe driver....
  • Voluntary excess: Just because confused.com gave you a £500 voluntary excess means you need it for a cheap quote. Reduce it to £0 to see what your real cost is and adjust to needs.
  • LOOK AT YOUR COVER: Not all insurance companies were born equal. The one I worked for was a well respected company that took pride in the product it delivered. Just because your quote is cheaper, doesn't mean that it will live up to its cost come claim time... AKA when you need it MOST!

I know it's not a be all and end all to reduce your quote, the best thing for that is living in a low car crime area and having plenty of no claims...

If you follow anything given here, you do so at your own risk and if you lie on your insurance you risk driving without cover.

Despite what I've said, it's not like anyone would use this forum post as a defence in court and if you do so, I wish you GOOD LUCK!

Any questions are more than welcome